So apparently I’m kind of into breakfast lately. This will be the third post in a row with a breakfast-type recipe. I promise I will post something a little different next week, but I really wanted to share this recipe with you now.
Partially because breakfast is super important. And not just in that cliche “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” sort of way. But in the “balance your cortisol (and your sex hormones and your hunger hormones) levels” sort of way. Especially for women. And partially because I’m going away for the holiday weekend this weekend and needed something I could make ahead and bring with me, and I thought maybe some of you would need that too.
This Veggie-Tastic Breakfast Casserole is simply seasoned with just a little salt because between all the veggies and the bacon there is oh so much flavor. And it’s really versatile so if you don’t like the veggie combo I chose, switch it up with whatever you want!
I’m super excited to wake up in our little cabin by the lake amongst the trees in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, grab a slice of this and some berries and enjoy my breakfast in nature. With a good dose of protein, some healthy fats, a little carb action, and TONS of micronutrients, this breakfast is the perfect fuel for the long day hikes I’ll be embarking on all weekend.
It’s also the perfect fuel for whatever your weekend adventures are! So make this Veggie-Tastic Breakfast Casserole (or my Sweet Potato and Sausage Breakfast Bites or Spaghetti Squash and Sausage Breakfast Casserole or Rutabaga Sausage and Kale Breakfast Casserole) and have a delicious breakfast all ready to go!
- 1 10 oz package bacon, chopped (I used Pederson's sugar free bacon)
- ¼ large sweet onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- ½ bell pepper, diced (about ¾ cups)
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 cups green beans, chopped (can use fresh or frozen)
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh pepper (I used about 30 twists of the pepper grinder)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Add bacon to large skillet (I used a 12" cast iron) and cook until crispy, about ten minutes.
- Add onion, bell pepper, carrots, and green beans to skillet and cook until veggies start to soften.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted. Remove from heat.
- Add eggs, water and salt to blender and blend on high for about 30 seconds.
- Add veggie mixture to greased casserole dish. Pour egg mixture over top and stir gently to make sure eggs are incorporated into veggies.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until eggs are set.
Who else has fun Fourth of July plans this weekend?
In vibrant health,