Back when I had a full time job in an actual office, I used to do a bunch of meal prepping on Sunday to prepare my breakfasts and lunches for the week so I wouldn’t have to worry about it before work in the morning. But when I started working from home, I stopped meal prepping because I figured, since I was home, I could just cook my meals in the moment when I was hungry.
I would get up in the morning, walk my dogs, shower and get ready, and then cook some bacon, eggs and veggies from scratch. By the time I was done eating breakfast it would be roughly 10 am. This worked just fine for a while because I had the time to do it and I didn’t really need to get started with my work day until that time. But lately I’ve been a lot busier, and not starting my work day until 10 am just isn’t working for me anymore. So I’ve officially decided that it’s time to start meal prepping again! (At least for breakfast… we’re taking baby steps here!)
My recipes for Spaghetti Squash and Sausage Breakfast Casserole and Rutabaga Sausage and Kale Breakfast Casserole are two of my favorite recipes to make ahead on the weekend and eat all week for breakfast. It’s so simple to just slice up a piece, heat it up, and then top it with a pat of butter and serve with some greens and sauerkraut. But I was feeling like trying something different than my old go-to’s.
So I decided to try my hand at those egg muffin things that seem to be so popular on Pinterest these days. The verdict? Awesome! I love that you can eat these bad boys with your hands, and that you can eat them on the go! Although I have to add that I don’t recommend eating anything on the go since it’s not good for digestion, but let’s be honest, sometimes you do what you have to do.
If you like foods that are quick and easy to whip up, taste delicious, that you can eat with your hands, and that make for the easiest weekday breakfast ever, then you must try these Sweet Potato and Sausage Breakfast Bites! I promise you (and your family!) will love them!
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 1-2 small sweet potatoes (about 3-4 cups once shredded)
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 lbs ground breakfast sausage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your muffin tin. Silicone muffin cups work best, but you can use liners or grease liberally with coconut oil in a metal tin.
- Add eggs and coconut milk to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Shred sweet potato using shredding attachment for food processor or hand grater. Add to egg mixture.
- Add sausage and diced onion to large skillet over medium heat and cook until meat is browned and onion is soft. Add to egg mixture and stir until combined.
- Add a scant ⅓ cup of egg mixture to each muffin cup. Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through, until eggs are set.
In vibrant health,