When I was a kid, I HATED pickles. Like seriously hated them. I hated them so much I would gag if a little piece of pickle made it’s way onto my sandwich. I hated them so much that I would cringe when walking by someone at Disneyland with one of those giant pickles. I hated them so much that even the idea of a pickle made me want to barf.
But then one day, I had this weird craving for a pickle. No, I wasn’t pregnant. I have no idea what caused the craving, but there it was and I had to give into it. So I grabbed a jar of Bubbie’s brand bread and butter pickles just to see what would happen.
I don’t remember how I ate those pickles; if I put them on something or if I just ate them by themselves. All I know is that I LOVED them. It was super weird. And then I made my pickle hating husband try them and he loved them too. To this day he complains any time we run out.
I thought maybe it was just those specific pickles. Bread and butter pickles tend to be sweet (although the Bubbie’s ones are less sweet than other bread and butter pickles I’ve tried) and I’ve got a bit of a sweet tooth. But then I tried their dill pickles and their relish. Loved that too. And I tried some pickles at a farmer’s market….loved them. And I had some house-made pickles at my favorite BBQ joint in Austin, TX… so darn good.
So when I received a bunch of cucumbers in my CSA basket, I decided it was time to try making my own pickles since apparently I love them so much. And I’m glad I did because these Sweet and Spicy Refrigerator Pickles are delicious! They’re a little sweet, but not overly so, and have a ton of flavor. And most importantly, they’re perfectly crunchy! Probably my favorite pickles ever! Whether you just recently started liking peoples like me or you’ve loved pickles forever, you should definitely make these.
- 2½ pounds cucumbers (about 7 small)
- 2 small hot peppers, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ cup white vinegar
- 1½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 3 Tbs salt
- 1 Tbs mustard seeds
- 1½ tsp celery seeds
- Thinly slice cucumbers using a sharp knife or mandoline (just not too thin or the pickles won't be nice and crunchy) and add to a large bowl. Add hot peppers and onions to the bowl and mix to combine
- Add remaining ingredients to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves
- Add cucumber mixture to jars (I used two quart sized jars and a pint sized) and pour pickling liquid over the top to cover. Let sit for one hour to cool and then place in the refrigerator. They should start tasting pickle-y in about 4-24 hours but the flavor will intensify over time.
So I don’t know what suddenly made me a pickle lover. Apparently something just switched inside of me. Now, if only something would switch and make me a liver lover 😉
In vibrant health,