This morning I woke up, hopped out of bed, and headed to the back door to let the dogs out as per usual. However, this morning I felt a rush of cool air as I opened the door for the first time in about four months. Fall doesn’t officially start for another 11 days and here in Texas we likely won’t see cool, fall like temperatures for another month or two, so I wasn’t about to let this beautiful fall-esque morning go to waste. I made some hot tea, put a cardigan on, and sat outside on the patio with the dogs. It was pretty awesome, at least until the sun started blaring in my eyes and warming everything up.
So in honor of the first cool morning of the season in Central Texas, I’m sharing this delicious and easy dinner that captures some of my favorite fall flavors. I don’t know if rosemary and thyme grow in the fall- you can pretty much always get them at the grocery store- but I certainly associate them with the fall, probably because they feature prominently in different Thanksgiving dishes. And what says fall more than butternut squash? Okay, maybe pumpkin does, but butternut squash is a close second. And with the addition of cardamom and cinnamon, it’s like fall in a bowl. Smells heavenly too, trust me.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs coconut flour
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper (or ½ tsp black pepper)
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbs ghee
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Add first nine ingredients to a mixing bowl and combine thoroughly
- Form meat mixture into golf ball sized meatballs and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- While the meatballs are baking, steam butternut squash until fork tender (15-20 mins)
- Add cooked squash, ghee, salt, cardamom and cinnamon to food processor and blend until smooth
So if you’re feeling like a delicious and easy, fall inspired weeknight dinner, give this recipe for Rosemary Thyme Spiced Meatballs with Cardamom Butternut Squash Puree a try!
In vibrant health,