You may know this if you follow me on Instagram but my husband as been gone for a little while, and since I work from home, this means a ton of time at home by myself. Now, I’m not complaining. Most of the time I love working from home. However, interacting with no one but my dogs all day can be a little bit isolating. Because of this, I try to make an effort to make plans with friends and get out of the house. Or sometimes stay in the house, but to do it with friends.
And that’s what I did this past Friday night. One of my good friends came over for some girl time. This girl time involved lots of chatting, drinking kombucha out of wine glasses because we’re fancy, puppy snuggles, chick flicks and of course food. This friend of mine, like me, is a healthy eater, hence the kombucha in our wine glasses instead of wine…although I did add vodka to mine now that I think about it. But alcohol can be healthy too in moderation right!?!? Anyway, your typical chick-flick-watching foods like pizza, popcorn, and cookie dough weren’t going to work for us. So instead I made the Chocolate Date Squares from The Paleo Mom and these Pesto Eggplant Pizza Bites. Both were a huge hit!
These were inspired by my recent CSA basket from Johnson’s Backyard Gardens (P.S. For all my fellow Fort Hood area friends, did you know they deliver at So Natural now?). I received several eggplant, along with a ton of other delicious veggies of course, and figured what better way to eat eggplant than as a base for a pizza crust alternative. And although I do like traditional pizza sauce, pesto has always been my favorite. So you’ve got the roasted eggplant base topped with delicious pesto, and then you add some caramelized onions, bacon, and some goat cheese and you’ve got one delicious appetizer, perfect to eat while watching Age of Adaline. Or at least that’s what we watched. Have you seen it yet? It’s a little predictable, but what chick flick isn’t these days? But it’s entertaining and I’ve got a huge lady crush on Blake Lively. The male lead isn’t bad to look at either though. And now I’m rambling…. Go make these please!
- 3 small eggplant
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup toasted walnuts
- ⅔ cups olive oil
- Salt to taste
- goat cheese (optional)
- Slice eggplant into ¼" rounds. Lay eggplant slices on paper towels. Salt generously and let sit for 30 minutes to remove excess water.
- Add chopped bacon to skillet over medium heat. Cook until crisp. Remove from pan, leaving grease.
- Add sliced onions to pan and saute in bacon grease over medium low heat, stirring frequently until caramelized, about 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Rinse excess salt off eggplant slices and pat dry with paper towels. Lay slices on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- While the eggplant is roasting, prepare the pesto. Add basil, garlic, and walnuts to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. While the food processor is running, drizzle in olive oil. Add salt to taste.
- Remove eggplant slices from oven and top with pesto, bacon, caramelized onions, and goat cheese if using.
Grab a chick flick, kombucha (vodka optional), and some good food and enjoy a nice night with friends!
In vibrant health,