I am loving living in Orange County again. Don’t get me wrong, I miss my husband like crazy. But having the sunny warm weather, the beach just a few miles away, and any health food store I could possibly want within easy driving distance certainly does not suck. However, there is one thing that Texas (well, Austin) has that Huntington Beach does not, and that’s Picnik.
If you have no idea what I’m talking about, Picnik is a paleo friendly coffee shop/food trailer that serves amazing butter coffee and bone broth, smoothies, teas, meals to go, and the best blondies ever. The owner, Naomi, is such a delight and she gives the best hugs, and the rest of the Picnik team are pretty dang incredible as well.
I spent quite a few afternoons hanging out on the lawn in front of Picnik, sipping my butter bones, munching on a blondie, and chatting with the many different characters that would pass through. It is so wonderful to have a place to go where you know that you can trust the quality of the ingredients, where no one will judge you because you’re not eating x, y or z, and you never have to ask if something is cooked in canola oil!
Well, as much as I love HB, I don’t have a place like that to go to anymore. (If someone knows of a place, please let me know!) So I’ve had to get my butter coffee fix in my own home. One of my very favorite butter concoctions at Picnik wasn’t actually coffee at all. It is their Marshmallow Chai and it’s made with whole leaf rooibos powder (like matcha green tea but rooibos tea instead of green tea). I believe you can get it “dirty” aka with coffee, but I never did. I got a serious hankering for this luscious beverage the other day and decided to try my hand at making my own. You guys, I think I nailed it! No, it’s not exactly like Picnik’s version but even though it tastes slightly different, I think it’s just as good. And trust me, that’s saying a lot!
- For Chai Spice blend:
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dried basil (optional)
- For Chai Rooibos Latte:
- 8 oz hot water
- 1 tsp rooibos powder
- ½ Tbs grass fed butter or ghee (or sub with additional coconut oil for dairy free)
- ½ Tbs MCT oil or coconut oil
- 1.5 tsp chai spice blend
- 1.5 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbs vanilla whey protein (I like this one and this one
- 1 Tbs grass fed collagen peptides
- For Chai Spice blend: add all ingredients to small bowl or mason jar and stir or shake to combine.
- For Chai Rooibos Latte: Boil water. Add rooibos powder to wide mouth mason jar. When water is boiling, add to mason jar and blend with immersion blender* for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients to mason jar and blend until combined and frothy.
- *If you don't have an immersion blender, you can also use a regular blender. I have this immersion blender and I LOVE it.
Try this bad boy iced or hot, whatever floats your boat! Who here as tried Picnik? It’s the best isn’t it!?!?!
In vibrant health,